Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Day 1: St. Jean Pied de Port to Pamplona (85km)

I guess it's a leftover from work: set expectations and then exceed them. Initially I thought to at least make it over the Pyrenees; stage 1 in the "official" Camino. Then when I got there I thought: "Perhaps a little further." When I got to Zubri I thought: "This isn't such a nice place, let's keep going to Larrasoaña, the end of stage 2." 

Arriving at the albergue there I had an interesting discussion with the guy running the place. It went something like this: Guy: "You want a stamp [for the pilgrim passport, proving where you have been] or a bed?" Me: both. Guy: "Walkers have priority, you'll have to wait." I knew this, having read it in my pilgrim guide, so I say: "OK I'll wait." Guy: "You will probably have to wait until 7pm." [it was about 5pm, I'd been on the road since 8:30]. Me: "OK I'll wait." Guy: "We'll be full anyway." Me: "I'll have the stamp then."

Pamplona was 'only' 16 km further [I realised how my perspective was changing; last week 16km was a really long distance to ride] so I pushed on, getting to Pamplona to find the hostel I had expected to stay at fully booked.

So I continued along the Camino through the streets of Pamplona (a rather nice ride to finish the day it must be said) to end up at a rather decrepit local hostel. Actually, it was a very decrepit hostel, run by a caricature: he was very overweight, was dressed in dirty pants and a singlet, had a roll-your-own dangling from his mouth and acted very much like I was disturbing his peace and quiet. I pictured him sitting upstairs somewhere with a beer in his hand in front of the television as I was knocking on the door downstairs. Since I was, as it turned out, the only guest in the establishment, I probably was disturbing him.

Still, the sheets on the bed seemed to be (relatively) clean and he assured me I would be perfectly safe, despite the fact that the room door had no lock and couldn't actually close anyway. Who was I to complain? I unpacked everything, discovering that pretty much everything was soaking wet - or rather, everything not in the water-proof pannier bags was soaking wet. The pannier bags had done their job, but the handlebar bag, in which I had foolishly put my camera and other belongings, had proved to be only water "resistant", meaning everything inside was soaked. I found a few pieces of string and made a temporary clothes line out on the little balcony and hung things out to dry, before setting off into town in search of a camping store to replace my lost water-proof pants and buy some gaiters.

At dinner I noticed the guy at the next table looked like he was dressed for walking. I struck up a conversation and, not surprisingly, it turned out he was just starting the Camino. We had a nice chat about life and other things, finding - again probably not surprising - that we had a lot in common. The joys of travel.

Lessons learned today (some of them):

  • It is possible for me to ride 85km in a day, over the Pyrenees including about 1600m climb, in pouring rain and gales. That feels pretty good (not the actual doing it part, but being able to say "I did it").
  • The Ortlieb "roller" waterproof pannier bags really are waterproof. Everything else I had however is not.
  • Waterproof shoes are good at storing all the water that streams down your legs once your socks get saturated.
  • It was a smart move to line my 'water resistant' sleeping bag stuff bag with a plastic garbage bag before I left.
  • I haven't 'slowed down' enough yet. Once I'd had a cafe con leche and a bocadillo after crossing the mountains in a thunderstorm I felt I needed to get going again.
  • Driving a car, seeing a series of bends going up a mountain pass is a good thing. Seeing the same thing when you've been riding a bike up that mountain gives you a whole different feeling.
  • When they warn of sudden changes in weather in the mountains they are not kidding.
  • There's lots of interesting things and people to observe when you take the time.

"Leave what you don't need" - clearly bras are optional on the Camino!
My worldy goods drying out after their soaking
Heading into the Pyrenees - beautiful and atmospheric
Drying out in front of an open fire at Roncevalles after surviving the storms
Heading up the mountain: warning pilgrims ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment