Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Day 14: San Xiao to Santiago (69km)

Yesterday while I was pedalling up some hill in Galicia the King of Spain abdicated. I have to admit that I didn't notice, and the two events were probably unrelated. In fact it wasn't until the owner of the albergue where I was staying indicated the television (all bars and cafés in Spain have at least one television permanently on somewhere on the wall; in fact as I type this I am sitting underneath yet another television) and with some distaste said "Look at that. What a waste of money they are" that I had any idea of what had transpired while I rode.

Made it to Santiago de Compostela!
While the abdication of the King is a big deal, the more important news for today is that I am writing these notes in Santiago de Compostela! Yes, this afternoon I rode the final stages of the Camino, through the forests around the airport and on into the cobbled streets of Santiago and its Cathedral.

The Camino avoiding the motorway around the airport
14 days and well over 800 km after leaving St. Jean in France I have arrived. Hard to believe really, but true nonetheless.





After passing the "Santiago" sign - the actual road sign was covered in graffiti - it was still another few kilometres riding through what proved to be fairly uninteresting streets before the Cathedral spires appeared above the rooftops and gave me a reference point to head towards. In fact, rather surprisingly, the Camino marking in Santiago turned out to be fairly hit and miss. So it was just as well that I had the Cathedral to use as a landmark indicating my final destination.

The path led me down some stairs - carrying the bike of course; why not make it difficult just at the end - and suddenly, there was the main square in front of the Cathedral.

I found my (pre-booked) albergue, checked in, unpacked, and headed straight for the Pilgrim Office. Thought I may as well finish things properly straight away.

And after standing in line for almost two hours (and I hate standing in line) I now have my official certificate (the 'Compostela' in Santiago de Compostela) to prove I've done it.
The queue of Pilgrims waiting to receive their Compostela

After a nice shower and a celebratory drink (and perhaps a non-pilgrim dinner) I will hopefully add some more thoughts about the whole thing.

The final stages of the Camino; outskirts of Santiago

No comments:

Post a Comment