Saturday, May 23, 2015

Camino de Santiago reprise - the analysis

Here's a quick review of the engineering and financial aspects of my second Camino de Santiago bicycle trip. Just a reminder: this section started in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and finished in Tours, France. I'll also add the equivalent figures for the first Camino trip, which started in the south of France and apart from that first day was exclusively in Spain.
Arrival in Tours, destination of Camino part 2


These numbers might be helpful if you're planning a similar bicycle trip. Keep in mind that the financial figures reflect my particular choices in food and accommodation (!) and reflect the prices at the time of the trips (2014 and 2015 respectively).

Financial summary:

Camino part 2
Camino part 1
Food
320 (29/day)
430 (21/day)
Accommodation
317 (29/day)
308 (10.50/day)
Travel
31
247
Other
21 
87
Total Cost
689
1,072
Daily Average
58
33
(all figures in Euros, daily averages exclude special days)

As you can see, my second Camino trip (which is, confusingly perhaps, the first part of the Camino journey) cost me almost twice (per day) compared to the first trip. Not really a surprise, since Spain is considerably cheaper than either the Netherlands, Belgium or France. Also, in Spain I stayed almost exclusively in hostels, while in my second trip I stayed in various types of B&Bs. The main reason the first trip total was higher was the fact that it was a week longer, and there's also the train and air fares to get to and from Spain (from France). The daily averages are adjusted to reflect that I stayed a couple of times with friends on the second trip and do not include the French section of the trip (preparation time, really) for the first trip. The totals however reflect all the expenses I made.


The Engineering review

Camino part 2
Camino part 1
Total number of days
14
18 (including one rest day)
Total distance ridden
1,110 km
1,031 km
Total time on the bike
75.8 hours
66.8 hours
Average speed for the trip
14.7 km/h
15.4 km/h



Average hours ridden
5.4 hours/day
3.9 hours/day
Average distance ridden
79.3 km/day
60.6 km/day



Longest distance ridden in one day
105.7 km
84.5 km (on the first day!)
Shortest distance ridden in one day
49.7 km
34 km (second-last day)
Most hours ridden in one day
7.1 hours
6.2 hours (on the first day!)
Least hours ridden in one day
3.5 hours
2.1 hours (second-last day)
Highest average speed
15.0 km/h
19.1 km/h
Lowest average speed
13.5 km/h
12.4 km/h

In general in the second trip I spent more time per day riding, and rode longer distances. If I was to give any advice based on these numbers, I'd say it would be much better to take a bit more time and slow down (something I also noted on the first trip). My second trip had some total time constraints which meant I couldn't really extend my trip, much as I would have liked to. Interestingly, the average speeds for the two trips are very similar, and in fact the second trip is lower than the first. This is a bit counter-intuitive, since the second trip involved much more flat terrain (and no mountain crossings at all). Maybe I was fitter or more enthusiastic the first time around!

No comments:

Post a Comment